Assistant Director ICT & Digital
Be Bold, Be Birmingham
Birmingham City Council is a hugely ambitious council. With an exciting array of retail and leisure options, a thriving growing tech sector, a vibrant arts scene, a friendly community vibe and unparalleled diversity, plus chosen host to the upcoming 2022 Commonwealth Games - we're fiercely proud of our brilliant places and people. Serving a population of more than 1.4m, with over 11,000 staff we’re on a mission to provide the best possible experience across our services, transforming the relationship between our City and the Council for the better.
Our dedicated Information, Technology and Digital services team are committed to leading, shaping and delivering great digital solutions enabling positive difference to peoples lives. This ambition can only be enabled through the vitally important presence of solid technical foundations that supports effective and efficient 24/7 operations whilst continually challenging ourselves to deliver best-in-class, user-centric services that will transform the relationship between the council and its residents, businesses and visitors.
There’s much to do be it exploiting the array of data opportunities that enable better decision making and enhance service provision with clear, measurable outcomes to shifting to low code development or embedding new ways of working. As such, we are now looking for our Assistant Director of ICT & Digital, reporting to the Director of Digital & Customer Service.
What you will do:
- Work with the Council Leadership Team to shape the vision, strategic direction and roadmap for digital transformation that reflects the needs of the Council, its residents, businesses and visitors
- Drive the data agenda, ensuring the delivery and iteration of technology services is supported by effective analysis of the financial benefits of taking an agile, open, user-driven approach
- Lead the Councils’ information management and cyber security strategy
- Lead a culture of continuous improvement that delivers results through organisational and people development
- Champion and drive a diverse, inclusive, supportive culture that stimulates innovation and enables colleagues to build and sustain high quality products and delivery
- Network, learn and take inspiration from a wide range of sources; participate in communities of practice and interest (e.g LocalGovCamp, OneTeamGov, and related networks and events)
- Significant experience in shaping and delivering Digital and IT strategic agendas within complex organisations at scale and at pace
- A proven ability to build effective relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders, capable of flexing your style, to understand and engage with different audiences
- Proven track record of developing high performing, agile teams
- Proven commercial expertise including contract negotiation and supplier management, establishing and improving supplier performance standards and managing £m+ budgets
- Familiarity with a wide range of PPM methodologies including agile & waterfall in addition to industry standard security issues and processes, being able to apply cyber security, data protection laws and regulation.
- Relentless customer-focus and a proven track record of changing and improving IT services to deliver better outcomes for the user.
Closing date is Wednesday 9th June 2021
Job Description & Person Specification