Administrative and Finance Assistant
Please contact Lynn Hatfield for an application pack Lynn.Hatfield@valuesacademy.org.uk.
The main purpose of the Administrative and Finance Assistant (AFA) is to support the CEO and the Senior Management Team (SMT) in the day-to-day operation of the school. The AFA’s role will cover a wide range of activities including finance, health and safety, site issues, human resources in conjunction with the SMT. Training on accounting and school MIS will be given where necessary.
Duties and responsibilities
Financial management and fundraising
- Accounts payable – input invoices to accounting system (Xero) and manage invoice checking and sign-off. Resolve invoice queries, maintain full invoice records and prepare regular payment schedules for Finance Manager (FM)
- Accounts Receivable – support FM in preparation of invoices on Xero, chase outstanding invoices and support FM in reconciliation of billing data
- Petty Cash – monitor petty cash accounts and prepare monthly reconciliations and accounting journals ensuring that all documentation is correctly authorised.
- Monthly Accounts – support FM in the preparation of the monthly accounts
- Payroll – while overseen by the FM, co-ordinate the preparation of monthly payroll data for processing by the external payroll provider and preparation of monthly payroll accounting and reconciliation.
- Human resources – maintain full and up-to-date records using both the Pupil Asset system and manual files in conjunction with the SMT.
- Induction – complete induction process for all new staff including DBS checks.
- Deal with queries from all stakeholders by telephone, email or in person.
- Complete administration tasks for the SMT as required.
- Attend meetings and take minutes as required.
- Undertake such other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post
- Maintain all school documentation to a high standard both on-line and paper-based
- Ensure work and processes comply with current legislation/standards.
Skills and knowledge
- Good level of numeracy and literacy with an understanding of the need for accuracy and cross-checking of data
- Excellent attention to detail
- Previous use of Xero accounting system and Pupil Asset school management information system not essential but would be helpful
- Ability to build effective working relationships with staff and other stakeholders
- Familiarity with basic accounting concepts (accruals/pre-payments etc)
- Good level of expertise in Microsoft applications – Word, Excel, Outlook etc. Intermediate level of skills in Excel particularly important.
- Commitment to promoting the ethos and values of the school and getting the best outcomes for all pupils
- Commitment to acting with integrity, honesty, loyalty and fairness to safeguard the assets, financial probity and reputation of the school
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise effectively
- Ensure that output and quality of work are to a high standard
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality at all time
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to safeguarding and equality