Consultant in Public Health
Salary Pay Band - NHS Agenda for Change 8d (£75.914 - £87,754 (pay award pending)
The City of Wolverhampton is a place which is proud of its history, celebrates its diversity and is ambitious for the future. The vision for the City is one which is a healthy, thriving and sustainable international ‘smart city’ - renowned for its booming economy and skilled workforce, rich diversity and a commitment to fairness and equality that ensures everyone has the chance to benefit from success.
The health and wellbeing vision for the city states that we want to:
- Help people live longer, healthier and more active lives
- Offer every child the best start in life
- Close the gap in healthy life expectancy both within the City and between Wolverhampton and the England average
- Ensure everyone is protected from harm, serious incidents and avoidable health threats
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic Consultant in Public Health to come and join our team and help deliver the vision. We are looking for a system level leader and influencer, with a high level of political acumen, and exceptional people management skills, to deliver significant and sustained change.
Working under the guidance and support of the Director of Public Heath, you will be responsible for improving and protecting the health of the local population. If everyone has a chance to benefit from success, this means no-one should be left behind. It means we must address some deeply entrenched inequalities that exist in different communities and which have been exacerbated by the pandemic.
Initially, a key element of the role will be to deliver, with partners, the city-wide healthy start to life agenda. We want to know where every child is, how they are growing and developing and whether they need additional support to achieve good outcomes. Other areas of responsibility involve oversight of services that Public Health has direct commissioning responsibility for, achieving pathway and service redesign to maximise good outcomes for the people that they serve.
More broadly, your work will include working across the entire Council, Elected Members, NHS bodies and other partner agencies to advocate for and improve population health, including focusing on the wider determinants of health that have such a significant impact on healthy life expectancy and health inequalities.
This will involve developing inter-agency and interdisciplinary strategic plans and programmes in collaboration with partners at all levels, contributing to the Joint Health and Wellbeing Strategy, with delegated authority to deliver key public health targets.
You will have a sound understanding of the health and care system alongside in depth knowledge of methods of developing clinical quality assurance, quality improvement, evaluations and implementation of evidence based public health practice. The role will have a particular focus on supporting the NHS and Council with their common duty to address health inequalities.
- Inclusion in the GMC Specialist Register/GDC Specialist List/UK Public Health Register (UKPHR) for Public Health Specialists.
- If an applicant is non-UK trained, they will be required to show evidence of equivalence to the UK CCT
- Public health specialty registrar applicants who are not yet on the GMC Specialist Register/GDC Specialist List in dental public health/UKPHR must provide verifiable signed documentary evidence that they are within 6 months of gaining entry at the date of interview; all other applicants must provide verifiable signed documentary evidence that they have applied for inclusion in the GMC/GDC/UKPHR specialist registers
- MFPH by examination, by exemption or by assessment
- Applicants must meet minimum CPD requirements (i.e. be up to date) in accordance with Faculty of Public Health requirements or other recognised body
The City of Wolverhampton Council prides itself on our commitment to public health. The Black Lives Matter and other agendas reflective of the City’s population highlight the need for a more granular, localised place-based approach, based on evidence, indices of deprivation and listening to people, families, groups and communities. As an area with significant health needs and inequalities, we offer an ideal challenge for someone who wishes to make a real difference to the lives of people who deserve better health.
For further information /informal discussion about this role, please contact Neeraj Malhotra, email@example.com
Proposed Interview date Friday 25 June 2021
Job Description and PS - Consultant in PH .doc