Assistant Director - Investment Management & Stewardship
Assistant Director – Investment Management & Stewardship
Starting Salary: £99580.00 - £119,954 plus benefits
FULL TIME – 37 hours per week
A new and unique opportunity for an investment professional to join our £18 billion Pension Fund and specialist in-house team, in a role focused on the development and delivery of the Fund’s investment objectives and integrated programme of investment stewardship – putting theory into practice and delivering meaningful outcomes.
As one of the largest Funds within the Local Government Pension Scheme, West Midlands (WMPF) has an established and diverse investment portfolio, developed to support our overriding objective to meet the long-term cost of pensions for our 340,000 members. These include many lower paid workers who provide essential public services across the region. Contributions from our members and 750+ participating employers are invested to deliver cost effective returns with acceptable risk and through arrangements in keeping with the Fund’s Responsible Investment Framework and Climate Change Strategy and Framework.
Investment stewardship at WMPF means the responsible allocation, management and oversight of Fund assets to generate sustainable benefits for the economy, the environment and society. This requires active engagement throughout our own investment chain, working alongside investment partners and with regulators, policy makers and peers to tackle systemic issues and risks. Combined with targeted policy, assessment and reporting we aim to build assurance and, where required, drive positive change.
In a newly developed role, you will have the opportunity to work across investment classes and with investment partners to continue to develop, assess and evolve the Fund’s approach to investment management and stewardship.
- Development and management of strategic partnerships which enable the implementation of the Fund investment strategy, monitoring, and reporting to ensure a sustainable investment approach
- Representing WMPF in key roles which enable governance and oversight of the Fund’s investment management arrangements, including advisory committees and practitioner forums within the LGPS Central pool
- Contributing to the development of WMPF’s investment risk and assurance framework; ensuring activity is aligned and supports the Fund’s compliance monitoring and investment reporting programmes
- Sponsoring and supporting WMPF’s Responsible Investment Officer with the development and delivery of the Fund’s responsible investment framework, including stewardship programme, and Climate risk metrics and reporting to support the Fund’s Climate change risk strategy and framework
- Developing and working with initiatives and alliances, including those within the West Midlands’ region., in support of delivering WMPF’s investment objectives
- Development, assessment and reporting on investment activity and outcomes, including UN PRI assessment, UK Stewardship Code, TCFD reporting, annual stewardship and climate plans
The successful candidate will hold a relevant professional Investment qualification (CFA /IFoA) and have experience of working with FCA-regulated entities and Partnership structures. They will have strong verbal and written communication skills, able to articulate and navigate complex issues to a variety of audience with the ability to work with and manage teams.
This is a politically restricted post
For more information, please email WMPFRecruitment@wolverhampton.gov.uk
Job Description & Personal Specification.pdf