Senior Science Technician
We are looking to recruit an experienced senior science technician to support our busy science department.
At Grace Academy Coventry the Science faculty delivers a variety of courses from Key stage 3 right through to A level. The role of Senior Science Technician is to lead and direct the science technical team to offer faculty support. This is mainly to prepare the materials and equipment required by the teaching staff, for use in practical demonstration’s to support the challenging teaching and learning offered by the faculty.
- To manage effectively the science equipment used by teaching staff
- To provide administrative support for the work of the faculty
- To lead and motivate the team of Science Technicians
- Ensure the technical team carry out the accurate and timely preparation of materials, apparatus and other equipment as requested by teaching staff in time to resolve any problems or eliminate uncertainty.
- Be available during practical lessons to deal with requests/problems to enable the lessons to run smoothly and assist as required in demonstrations and experiments in the class room environment.
- Ensure equipment and materials are returned to the prep room at the end of the lesson and checked for state of repair and working order. Remove faulty or broken equipment and list it for either repair or replacement & disposal.
- Implement and maintain an effective system of stock control for both equipment and materials that can identify shortages and evoke appropriate action.
- Devise and operate a systematic storage system for all equipment and materials that can be operated easily and effectively by the technical team and teaching staff.
- Take responsibility for the checking of the labs at the end of the day to ensure that nothing has been left lying around and gas supplies have been turned off.
- Ensure the safe control, storage, use and disposal of chemicals and materials in line with the guidelines issued by the Department for Health, CLEAPS and the HSE.
- Facilitate the repair, by self or by others, of all basic equipment and ensure that all electrical equipment is PAT tested on an annual basis.
- Maintenance a comprehensive and up to date filing system for lesson resources, requisition sheets and other key documents in use by the faculty.
- Maintain a list of texts book given out to individual pupils and implement a system to facilitate their return at the end of the course of study.
- Manage the faculty accounts under the direction of the FLL Science and ensure orders are placed in a timely manner so as not to disrupt the teaching and learning of the faculty. Be responsible for the checking of all purchases against delivery notes, chase discrepancies and then sign off the invoice for payment when all is correct.
- To monitor, record and replenish the faculty petty cash system in line with the school’s financial systems and procedures.
Leading the team (if applicable)
- Lead the technical team in a positive and acceptable manner by communicating effectively, being approachable and being open to receive comments and suggestions, where applicable
- Recognise staff development opportunities, promote & encourage the team and assisting staff to learn new skills in order to achieve their full potential and to maximise performance. Carry out an annual appraisal for the other technicians in your team.
- Make decisions appropriately, quickly and resolutely and maintain effectiveness in different situations. Delegate effectively as required, giving duties/responsibilities to your team that will enhance the service provision to the faculty.
- To prioritise in given situations, arranging or responding to events in order of precedence.
- Carry out any other reasonable duty as requested by the FLL Science.
Appropriate Qualification and Experience
Please apply by completing an application form and submitting this to GACRecruitment@graceacademy.org.uk along with a covering letter detailing your suitability to this post.
Closing Date - Monday 7th October 2019