4 days left
Due to a retirement, we are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Caretaker to join our busy premises team, working across the Sibford School campus and grounds.
In this varied role you will play a key part in providing an excellent caretaking service to the school, including responsibility for the security and overall presentation of school buildings.
You will be a good ‘all-rounder’ with previous caretaking (or similar) experience, who can make a positive contribution to the maintenance of school premises and grounds, working with your colleagues to ensure that Sibford lives up to its’ exceptional reputation.
Due to the nature of the role it will be a requirement that you either become resident at the school, or live very close by.
To provide a reliable and responsive caretaking service across the whole school site, including responsibility for the security of school buildings. Working alongside colleagues in the premises department the Caretaker is responsible for presenting and maintaining school premises to a high standard.
- Providing caretaking services to all buildings forming the school site, ensuring a safe and secure environment.
- Ensuring that accommodation is prepared for normal school use and for additional school and community activities and functions e.g. Meeting for Worship (Assembly), Examinations, Parents Evening, Meetings, Concerts.
- General porterage duties, in particular moving furniture, equipment and resources as required.
- Responding to emergencies relating to the site as necessary.
- Check for and report damage as appropriate.
- Undertaking minor or temporary maintenance and repairs.
- Work with the Maintenance Manager on larger projects.
- Undertake small scale painting and decorating tasks (doors/small areas etc)
- Manage refuse and recycling across the site ensuring internal and external areas are free from litter.
- Routine and non-routine opening and closing and security of premises and grounds, including securing the school premises each night, setting alarms and reporting any concerns to the Premises Manager.
- Regularly inspect all points of entry, all entry control systems, locks and catches to external doors and windows to ensure in good working order and undertake simple maintenance as necessary.
- Act as a nominated key holder and respond appropriately to emergency call-outs outside normal working hours.
- Provide emergency access in the event of snow, minor flooding or similar emergency situations.
- Be the controller, of the school keys and alarm fobs, holding responsibility for the issue and return.
- Support the cleaning team and carry out cleaning duties as agreed with the Premises Manager and Cleaning Supervisor. This will include the cleaning of any designated area when cleaning staff are not in attendance to ensure that the School is kept in a clean and hygienic condition at all times.
- Comply with Health & Safety requirements, other relevant legislation and school policies.
- Monitor daily standards of Health and safety, identifying potential hazards and remedying in a timely manner.
- Ensure that caretaking equipment is in a safe and working condition.
- Ensure that the fire equipment signage and fire escape notices are correctly displayed throughout the school.
- Undertake the duties of a Fire Marshall.
- Complete checks of fire alarm systems and intruder alarm systems and liaise with alarm companies as required.
- Assist in carrying out risk assessments relating to site activities and premises related matters.
- Support the grounds maintenance team by carrying out occasional grounds maintenance, mowing etc, under the direction of the Head of Grounds.
- In addition to these duties and responsibilities, to carry out any other such duties as may be reasonably required.
Key Performance Measures:
- Sibford School buildings and facilities are well presented and maintained.
- School security is well managed – School is secure.
- Tasks completed within expected timeframes and to a good standard.
- Positive working relationships across premises team
- Communication with wider school staff
Terms and Conditions of Employment:
- Our Caretaker needs to reside onsite, or very close by, and for that reason accommodation on the school site can be provided as part of the benefits package.
- This is a full-time role - Most working hours will be during the week (Monday to Friday) and will include evenings. There will also be some regular weekend hours to be agreed in advance.
- Working Hours: Full time, to include locking and unlocking at weekends.
- Salary between £24,313 - £28,785 (depending on experience)
- Five weeks’ holiday per year (rising to Six weeks after 5 years’ service) plus statutory Bank Holidays.
- Contributory Pension Scheme.
- Free school lunch (when school is in session).
- Generous school fees remission for dependent children attending Sibford School.
- Previous experience in a caretaking role or similar
- Be aware of and understand regulation, e.g. H&SAW and COSHH guidelines.
- Able to carry out procedures, routines and follow instructions.
- A basic level IT literacy for sending emails, completing worksheets etc.
- Numeracy and literacy skills to understand basic administrative systems, follow H & S and COSHH instructions, complete forms and orders, write instructions etc.
- Able to operate cleaning equipment, machinery and tools and undertake basic maintenance.
- Have some minor maintenance skills (such as plumbing, electrical, glazing, woodwork) to make safe.
- Can solve straightforward problems, respond to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. hazards, accidents etc) .
- Good organisational skills, ability to plan and attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and a friendly approach.
- Excellent people skills – good written and verbal communications.
- Able to take initiative, be proactive and work with the minimum of supervision.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude and willingness to be flexible when required.
- Used to working to deadlines.
- Experience of caretaking in a school or similar setting.
- Additional trade or experience in a relevant area (plumbing, carpentry etc).
- Full UK Driving Licence
- To support the Quaker ethos of the school.
- To uphold Sibford School’s commitment to safeguarding children (training will be provided).
- To be compliant with GDPR (data protection) policy and procedures (training will be provided).
- Knowledge of and compliance with relevant school policies and procedures e.g. Health and Safety Policy, Acceptable Use of the Internet Policy etc (training will be provided).
- A willingness to undertake training and professional development either in-house or externally.
- Participation in the performance management system in place for all staff.
Please visit our website for further details and to complete the application and equal opportunities form and email them to email@example.com or post to:
Sibford School, Sibford Ferris, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX15 5QL
Sibford School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo pre-employment checks in accordance with the DfE guidance on Keeping Children Safe in Education.