Investment Compliance & Risk Manager
Investment Compliance & Risk Manager
Salary £51,901 - £54,934
A new opportunity for an investment compliance professional to join our £18 billion Pension Fund and specialist in-house team, in a role focused on the development and implementation of the Fund’s investment risk and assurance framework – ensuring ongoing resilience as our investment arrangements evolve.
As one of the largest Funds within the Local Government Pension Scheme, West Midlands (WMPF) has an established and diverse investment portfolio, developed to support our overriding objective to meet the long term cost of pensions for our 340,000 members. These include many workers who provide essential public services across the region. Contributions from our members and 750+ participating employers are invested to deliver cost effective returns with acceptable risk.
The Fund’s investment strategy and implementation tools continue to evolve as our liability and cashflow profile changes, investment opportunities and stewardship ambition develops and we continue to increase utilisation of the LGPS Central investment pool. With a wide range of investment management arrangements in use and increasing expectations on pension fund investment governance and reporting, the Fund requires a robust assurance and review programme to ensure resilience in internal controls.
In a newly developed role, you will work as part of the Fund’s governance team to ensure ongoing development of risk and assurance programmes and the Fund internal controls, supporting front-line teams and building operational resilience and effective management of change. Focusing on investment compliance you will support in the development and oversight of internal policy and process, providing independent assurance.
You will lead in procedure review, identifying and overseeing response to developing regulatory standards and ensuring knowledge and behaviours support a strong internal control environment. You will deliver training and support record-keeping to ensure operational risk is managed, processes are effective, and reporting provides assurance.
- Leading assurance and oversight of the Fund’s investment compliance, risk and assurance framework
- Enhancing the investment compliance monitoring and reporting programme
- Identifying and overseeing changes to ensure the Fund meets regulatory standards and best practice
- Training employee and members of the Fund’s governing bodies on investment risk and compliance policy and procedure
- Identification and assessment of breaches, reporting findings and recommendations to Senior Management
- Ensuring the completeness and accuracy of investment record keeping and completion of Freedom of Information requests and KYC documentation
- Management and co-ordination of legal and compliance activity for investment onboarding and change
- Collation and review of third party compliance reports
- Relevant professional qualification (investment management, legal, compliance)
- Experience working with institution investors in relation to compliance, assurance and risk management
- Experience in developing and implementing policy, procedure review and change
- Experience in developing controls monitoring and breach reporting procedures
- Strong communication skills, with experience and/or ability to develop and train others
- High standards of professionalism and integrity, able to work with a range of internal and external stakeholder
We offer flexible working hours; generous holiday and all employees have access to the defined benefit pension saving, available within the LGPS.
Job Description and Personal Specification.docx