Solicitor/Senior Solicitor Litigation and Governance
This is an exciting opportunity to join a supportive and successful in-house Litigation and Governance team at Wolverhampton City Council’s Legal Services. We are looking to recruit a Litigation Lawyer who is a skilled and an enthusiastic qualified lawyer with substantial post qualification experience.
We are looking for an experienced litigator and advocate to strengthen our Litigation team. You will be able to deal with prosecutions, both civil and criminal matters, homelessness, landlord and tenant, Judicial Review, licensing, and leasehold disputes. You will be flexible and prepared to take on challenging and varied legal work, sometimes within tight timescales.
You will be a confident and skilled lawyer with a “can do” attitude, have a commercial outlook and will look for innovative and collaborative ways to deliver a client focused service which adds value for our clients and taxpayers. Additionally, you must be an excellent team player and be keen to develop your skills in other areas of legal work covered by the team.
We are keen to hear from you if you are a proficient, pro-active and responsive lawyer with strong, positive communication and influencing skills, attention to detail, and the ability to achieve the best practical outcomes for the Council and the public we serve.
You will have strong recent post-qualification experience (ideally, within a local government environment) in the following or similar areas of work:-
- Conducting litigation and undertaking advocacy for Client departments covering all aspects of civil, regulatory crime and public law;
- All aspects of Housing Management, including possession claims and injunctions for tenancy breaches and anti-social behaviour,
- Key advice on Allocations policy, including the re-drafting of the Council's Allocations Policy,
- Homelessness advice and the Council's associated obligations,
- Prosecutions against unscrupulous Landlords for various offences,
- All aspects of debt recovery from initial advice through to final hearing and enforcement afterwards,
- Provision of high-level advocacy to Client departments in Magistrates, Crown, County Courts and Tribunals,
- Significant governance advice and experience including advice to democratic services and advice regarding proper formalities in decision making.
- Contractual advice and litigation on the breadth of the Council's policy areas including education, social care and IT projects,
- Criminal prosecutions of regulatory matters including Health and Safety and Trading Standards
- Licensing advice and advocacy both in internal mini-committees, full committees and Courts.
- Working with and advising elected Members on the full range of my practice areas and on standards issues.
Qualified Senior Solicitor, Barrister or Cilex lawyer
preferably with significant relevant experience in relation to civil, criminal litigation and governance. Experience of working in local government is desirable.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own work load and to work on own initiative as necessary
- Experience of advocacy in the Magistrates’ and County Court
- Broad knowledge of local government law or equivalent knowledge.
- Knowledge and experience of civil and criminal litigation.
- Experience of drafting legal documents, including pleadings
- Ability to effectively communicate complex legal issues to Members and officers and to provide cogent legal advice accordingly.
- Ability to work constructively with elected Members and be politically aware and sensitive
- Desirable to have experience of working within Local Government
For an informal discussion please contact Tracey Christie on 01902 554925
Job Description and Personal Specification