Assistant Data Analyst
- Deliver work in a timely and efficient manner to the levels of quality and accuracy required, in order to provide an effective technical support service to internal and external customers
- Analyse data using a range of tools and techniques to contribute to the team's production of intelligence and management information
- Carry out research, gather data and perform analysis and calculations to support the development of intelligence and management information, or engineering solutions, by the team
- Act as a lead delivery resource on project work streams related to area of specialism to ensure that the project is delivered to time, cost and quality standards
- Monitor systems, processes and practices within area of specialism, plan and carry out regular reviews to identify opportunities for improvement in light of changing needs, feedback and/or current best practice thinking
- Carry out all work in line with standards and procedures and identify actual compliance issues in order to ensure that work delivered complies with all necessary requirements
- Attend external forums where necessary, in order to keep up-to-date with best practice and ensure personal awareness of relevant issues
- Collaborate with colleagues across Midlands Connect to ensure the technical services provided to the organisation are efficient, effective and support wider business objectives
- Be pro-active in your approach to learning new data analytical techniques to support business needs
You will be numerate with demonstrable experience with analytics and data management to support decision making. You will be competent in a range of tools to analyse, manage and share data with a willingness to learn new tools and data analytical techniques to serve business needs as and when required. You will be pro-active in your approach to learn new technology and apply new ways of thinking to your work. The type of skills sought for the position are:
- GIS skills to analyse and present spatial data
- Experience with Excel
- Strong technical report writing skills
- Strong data analytical and visualisation skills
- An ability to present complex analysis and concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience with creating, managing and querying databases
About the team
Here at Midlands Connect, we explore, develop and recommend major transport projects which provide the biggest possible economic and social benefits for the Midlands and the rest of the UK. These initiatives will create more capacity for passengers and freight on the Midlands’ roads and railways. As the Sub-national Transport Body for the Midlands and transport partner of the Midlands Engine, our partnership is vast: councils, LEPs, Chambers of Commerce, airports, HS2 Ltd, Network Rail, Highways England, and our sponsor the Department for Transport.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive a benefits package that includes 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Assistant Data Analyst - Role Profile.pdf