Paralegal (Childcare) Grade 8
PARALEGAL (CHILDCARE) Grade 8
Salary: £27,041 – £31,346 per annum
37 Hours per week – Permanent
This is an opportunity to work within a very friendly but a very busy, fast moving area of the Legal Services Unit.
The successful applicant will be required to demonstrate effective team working skills and a commitment to the work of the section, the work of which is governed by the need to adhere to strict timescales.
The role will require primarily the following:
- The conduct of child care litigation and the provision of legal advice on issues related to children.
- The provision of general advice on a duty call basis and responding to urgent queries and drafting any applications and legal paperwork arising as a result of any urgent call and liaising with solicitors to ensure representation in court.
- Attendance at PLO family meetings and managing PLO proceedings, including the requesting and commissioning of evidence and the collation and drafting of legal paperwork in the event of issue of subsequent care proceedings and the management of those proceedings including advocacy commensurate with experience and requisite permissions.
- The conduct of cases allocated to G8 from Legal Gateway Meetings or by direct allocation from Team Senior Solicitor will be cases with additional complexity, with less supervision available, to those allocated to G7 but not as complex as those allocated to G9. The role shall also include attendance at strategy meetings as directed by Team Senior Solicitors.
- The postholder will be expected to be competent and experienced in the provision of legal advice on threshold and the drafting of legal documents including threshold documents, case summary and other court documents for issue of proceedings with limited supervision.
- The necessity for them to attend court will be less than expected for the Grade 9 post and in respect of uncontested or less complex matters.
This Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
To apply for this post click on the ‘Apply’ button below.
By clicking on the apply button you will be redirected to Staffordshire County Councils online application website. Please note, you are only able to view the Job Description and Person Specification on the WM Jobs board NOT via Staffordshire County Council's online application site.
To submit your application, you will need to register an account on the website (NB this is a separate login to WM Jobs).
We collect personal information from you when you register with us to make an application. Information we collect includes name, email address and other contact details. We will use this information to communicate with you generally and to assess your application.
By clicking on the Apply button and submitting your application form, you are giving your consent to the processing of your personal data in the ways described Here
If you experience any technical issues accessing or completing the application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 25 July 2020
For more information about the role please contact: Samantha Gibson, Senior Solicitor on 01785 276396.
Please be aware, only application forms completed online will be accepted. We will not accept CV’s or Word application forms.
The County Council has adopted a set of values that seeks to achieve the best outcomes for its citizens, communities and employees.
Our People Strategy sets out what we all need to do to make Staffordshire County Council a great place to work, where people are supported to develop, flourish and contribute to our ambitious plans.
Our values are at the heart of the Strategy to ensure that the focus is on what is important to the organisation and the people it serves:
- Ambitious - We are ambitious for our communities and citizens
- Courageous - We recognise our challenges and are prepared to make courageous decisions
- Empowering - We empower and support our people by giving them the opportunity to do their jobs well.
Benefits for working for us….
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive working environment where employees can achieve their full potential and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
In addition to your salary, as a member of staff, you will have access to a range of benefits including:
- An excellent local government pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement from 24 up to 33 days (plus 2 extra statutory days and bank holidays) depending on job role and length of service
- The option to buy up to an additional 2 weeks annual leave
- A range of flexible working options, depending on your job role, which includes agile working, flexible retirement
- Family Friendly Policies - maternity, adoption, paternity and parental leave
- Volunteering Scheme
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- Access to health and wellbeing support (including Occupational Health, Physiotherapy and Counselling Services)
- Eye care vouchers
- Car lease scheme / cycle & car loan scheme / employee car share scheme
- Bus and rail travel discounts