Community Outreach Worker
An exciting opportunity to join Act on Energy as a Community Outreach/ Case Worker providing vital support to our existing Outreach team covering a wide area including Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Coventry, Solihull and Birmingham.
The energy efficiency sector is experiencing huge growth and with an ever-increasing level of fuel poverty and affordable warmth schemes the successful candidate will work with a wide range of people with a variety of needs and build strong relationships with community groups and front-line workers in the health and public sector.
So what qualities are we specifically looking for?
Do you love working with people?
Are you great on the phone and a natural communicator?
Do you like to problem solve?
Are you looking to work in a friendly and supportive environment?
If you can honestly answer yes to all of the above, then you could be exactly what we are looking for.
This role is ideally suited to individuals with experience of working with vulnerable households/clients/ families. You must be a strong and confident communicator with the ability to deal with a wide range of people plus an ability to work both independently and as part of a wider team.
Supporting our existing team of Outreach workers, you will be supporting and working with the team across our regions, working with the general public and creating links with partner agencies to tackle the impact of fuel poverty. The role will be community-based working with partners in the health sectors, community groups, BAME communities and many other groups allied to the cause of helping people. You will help prevent the need for people to be admitted to hospital, reduce over-reliance on GPs and/or home care providers, reduce social isolation, improve health and wellbeing at the same time as tackling fuel poverty and helping households improve the energy efficiency of their homes, save money and improve the quality of their lives.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
You will be supporting households through the provision of energy advice and onward support to ensure that vulnerable householders in fuel poverty are given the relevant support needed. This support will be holistic in its approach providing residents with advice on energy saving, income maximisation (through our partners), installation of low-cost energy measures and onward referrals for physical interventions in their home.
You will take time to understand people’s needs and understand referral pathways to help seek solutions where needed.
You will also provide support to front line staff at partner agencies, GP’s and Social care teams so they can access and understand the relationship between warm homes and improved health outcomes.
You will work in the community and from home with one day per week based at the offices of Act on Energy
You will need to operate independently and have the skills to manage your workload from home, use our case management database and communications systems, understand privacy rules and safeguarding, and work as part of our team who will provide support/supervision, training and case meetings. You will need to demonstrate the following:
ADDITIONAL SKILL SETS
- To achieve agreed outcomes and outputs, and personal appraisal targets, as agreed by your line manager
- To be committed to the Act on Energy’s core values of public service, quality, equality, empowerment and to demonstrate this commitment in the way duties are carried out.
- To ensure that all duties are undertaken with due regard and compliance with the General Data protection Act 2018 and other legislation
- To carry out duties and responsibilities in accordance with Act on Energy’s Health and Safety Policy and relevant Health and Safety legislation
- The post holder is expected to work some weekends and evenings as required
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Liaise with the Public, Local Authorities and other bodies as required
The person specification is a picture of skills, knowledge and experience required to carry out the job. It will also be used in the short-listing and interview process for this post. You should demonstrate in your CV and covering letter how you meet each of the following essential criteria. Please ensure that you address each one of the criteria as this will be used to assess your suitability for the post.
- Experience of working with vulnerable customers/ households in the community
- Knowledge and experience of housing, health and social care services and practice
- Experience delivering advice and training sessions
- Ability to drive high standards in relation to customer service.
- Educated at least to A level or equivalent with an excellent standard of written English
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences
- Demonstrate accurate numerical skills and have an eye for detail when processing information
- Excellent Self-management skills, to enable workload organisation from home, prioritisation, and implementation, with minimum supervision
- Flexible approach – demonstrating ability to respond positively to changes in allocation of work at short notice to set deadlines
- Commitment to equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice and to work with a diverse customer base.
- Excellent Computer skills including Microsoft word and excel
- Driving licence and use of own car
- Knowledge of domestic sustainable energy and affordable warmth issues
- Level 3 award in Energy Awareness desirable but not essential as training will be provided
- Good general knowledge of energy infrastructure in UK
- Experience of working in, or in support of, local or other statutory authorities
- Enthusiasm and commitment to environmental and social welfare objectives
- A flexible, dynamic and creative approach
- Other IT skills
SALARY & BENEFITS
£24,088 per annum – Grade D salary band
Initially 1 year fixed contract
37.5 hours - Monday to Friday 9:00am & 5:30pm – Occasional weekend work may be required.
Holiday: 25 days per annum plus bank holidays
Workplace Pension Scheme
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and covering letter by email or post:
Att: Gareth Williams
Head of Operations
Act on Energy
Unit 1.4 Lauriston Park