Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
The West Midlands Combined Authority was created to deliver an ambitious plan to drive inclusive economic growth in the region. We invest in things like transport, skills and wellbeing. Our vision is to build a healthier, happier, better connected and more prosperous West Midlands.
Now is a really exciting time to join. We're building a world-class transport system. We're tackling climate change, low unemployment rates and homelessness. We're creating a region where everyone has a chance to thrive and where growth benefits all.
The Investment Directorate plays a critical role in this by supporting the development and delivery of the investment strategy for the West Midlands Combined Authority, initiating and delivering innovative approaches to secure and deploy investment. The Investment Programme has already invested close to £800m in projects and the Investment Directorate also has responsibility for two loan investment programmes to which WMCA have committed £210m for real estate projects.
The role supports the delivery of the investment strategy and sits within the Portfolio Team who ensure best value for money is being achieved across the portfolio of investments. This will involve strong relationship management with Constituent Authorities, internal Directorates of WMCA and West Midlands Development Capital. Monitoring or performance and assessing impacts of requested business case changes will be a key part of the role.
What will you be doing?
- Ensure Business Cases for existing investments are being fulfilled on budget and in a timely manner
- Recommend strategies for dealing with potential changes to Business Cases and provide best advice on value for money
- Work with the Assurance Team to ensure that Change Requests are received in a clear and concise format
- Evaluate opportunities to deliver alternative funding streams for existing projects
- Work with the Investment Team and Sponsors to ensure new projects are conceived in a way which is best set to deliver quantifiable outputs
- Provide a high-quality relationship management service to promote collaboration
- Ensure on-going support and approval through the Combined Authority Governance process, ensuring all investments maintain regulatory compliance
- Develop new ways of working to deliver new investment funds and improve efficiency
- Work with the team to establish clear portfolio priorities and be responsible for holding the portfolio true to these
- Ensure that Investments are not only good value for money, but also deliver social impact and inclusive growth
- Work with other Directorates to provide specialist advice and share best practice in portfolio management
We are open to the sectors candidates will have gained their experience. You may well be working within the Investment or Development sector or in Financial Services. What we’re looking for includes:
- Good understanding of budgets and assessing/forecasting of cost against these
- An interest in a range of sectors/activities with the ability to creatively explore potential for investment
- An ability to be working on a variety of projects at the same time
- Experience of Business Case composition
- Able to process complex information, assess what is important and prioritise actions
- Passion to serve the public with an understanding of what inclusive growth and social impact means
- Able to report information in a clear, concise and appropriate manner
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer - Role Profile.pdf
WMCA's Benefits Calculator.pdf