Our Housing and Regeneration Directorate delivers some of the biggest housing and regeneration projects in the country and plays an integral role in a delivery-orientated organisation. We are focused on delivering high quality housing, commercial and mixed-use development at pace and scale, and are committed to working collaboratively to achieve inclusive growth for the region.
We are looking for a commercially astute Development Manager with experience of managing projects from start to finish. You will work across the Housing and Regeneration Team, and in close collaboration with the wider Combined Authority and other public and private sector partners, with responsibility for undertaking and co-ordinating detailed technical due diligence on sites and property that the WMCA is considering acquiring or investing in.
What will you be doing?
- Support of the Head of Land Development and the Senior Development Managers to identify opportunity sites for acquisition or investment by WMCA
- Undertake and co-ordinate technical due diligence, including instructing valuations and development appraisals and to prepare and input into reports to WMCA Investment Board
- Prepare de-risking strategies (e.g. securing planning, carrying out demolition works, delivering infrastructure), commissioning external consultancy advice as appropriate, aimed at making sites development-ready for developers
- Support of the Head of Land Development and Senior Development Managers to identify opportunities to utilise the WMCA’s Brownfield Land Remediation Programme, Housing Infrastructure Forward Funding Programme and Land Fund to lever in and broker private sector investment
- Produce accurate, concise reports, business plans and briefings summarising complex financial and development issues
Already RICS qualified or working towards, you will have already gained some relevant experience in a similar role. We'd like you to have some understanding of disposal strategies and what is is involved with procurement and management of contractors. With excellent stakeholder engagement and technical skills, you will be skilled at communicating, managing budgets and navigating a challenging political climate. Our ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Identifying sites with development potential
- Working collaboratively and proactively on complex projects
- Managing land-based development projects
- Assisting in the negotiating terms for the purchase and/or disposal of identified sites with landowners and agents
- Creating Business Cases to support bids to secure funding for site de-risking works, land acquisition or disposal
- Delivery in a range of housing markets
Tailored support will be given to those engaged in the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) and working towards full professional membership and qualification as a Chartered Surveyor.
About the team
West Midlands Combined Authority’s Housing & Land Team is developing the UK’s most successful, innovative and delivery focused housing and regeneration programme, combining the very best of the public and private sectors to drive inclusive growth in all parts of the region. The Housing & Land Team is at the forefront of implementing WMCA’s inclusive growth mission, and demonstrating the links between housing, skills, transport, health and economic growth. A whole team approach that combines working with local councils, LEPs, Whitehall and the private sector sits front and centre of our way of working.
Our overall aim and ambition: “To enable the delivery of 215,000 new homes by 2031, significantly increasing the proportion of affordable housing and driving new quality and design benchmarks”.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.