Personal Assistant (Internal Only)
Please note: we are working hard to create a space for our employees to search and apply for jobs within the Combined Authority. Until this time, we are publishing 'Internal Only' jobs externally. This role is only open to employees of the West Midlands Combined Authority.
We are looking for a PA to join the Strategy & Economy Team on a temporary basis for approximately 11 months, starting in September 2021.
The role will be responsible for providing outstanding corporate PA support to the Director of Strategy and Senior Managers of the Economy and Strategy Directorate, and administrative assistance as and when required to the wider business through the provision of effective office systems, standard processes and procedures, forward planning and utilising inter-departmental liaison.
What will you be doing?
- Provide a professional image to WMCA, Members and partner organisations and visitors at all times, while delivering outstanding administrative support
- Deliver proactive, timely, responsive and high quality PA support to designated Senior Managers ensuring confidentiality and appropriate sensitivity on matters involving WMCA and Partner Organisations
- Provide and ensure that support and assistance is available for projects and services being implemented by WMCA, using calendar and rotas
- Undertake relevant research and development of information and initiatives, analysing information and producing expository notes, production of management data and information, and development of presentations, reports and other materials
- Manage, co-ordinate and maintain Senior Manager calendars including meetings, appointments and records in accordance with pre-set priorities, deadlines and requests
- Using a computer based diary, plan and co-ordinate associated travel and accommodation arrangements and associated expenses as appropriate and in line with policy
- Receive, sort and prioritise all incoming communications, mail and email of designated Senior Managers, referring to appropriate staff, consulting and drafting suitable replies on behalf of Senior Managers where appropriate
- Liaise on a regular basis with the Senior Managers, Management Team, other colleagues within WMCA, Members, and where necessary, Officers of District Councils and Operators to progress relevant issues ensuring known deadlines are met
- Support Senior Managers through the development and review of their forward plans in coordination with other Senior Managers (in liaison with the Corporate Support Manager and other PAs)
- Make valuable contributions to the development, implementation and continuous review of the Corporate Support strategy and team, and be actively involved in change
- Manage and plan cover arrangements ensuring that sickness/holiday absences, lunch breaks are resourced
- Assist in the monitoring of relevant budgets, monitoring items under this heading and processing/authorising payment of relevant invoices as appropriate using the WMCA financial Systems
- Attend meetings and staff events as required with or on behalf of designated Senior Managers, demonstrating support for initiatives taking place within WMCA and providing feedback to Senior Managers in their absence
- Work positively and proactively with all staff at WMCA and with contacts in stakeholder and partner organisations, treating people with dignity and respect at all times
- Provide proactive support to Senior Managers and the Chairperson in the absence of the Corporate Support Manager, providing cover as required for colleagues within the team
- Monitor the use of the corporate support credit card and ensure all usage is line with WMCA policy. Complete credit card proformas within policy timescales for Senior Managers as appropriate
With previous experience supporting senior managers in a PA or similar capacity, you will have:
- Good standard of education, including maths and English at GCSE or equivalent level
- A recognised qualification in office skills or administration is desirable
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- A calm and professional manner, with ability to effectively liaise with senior management and executives
- Ability to deal with difficult or sensitive situations tactfully and with diplomacy and maintaining a high degree of confidentiality at all times
- Proven computer and administration skills
- Proven ability to forward plan, prioritise work and effectively co-ordinate competing demands
- A flexible approach to work, with the ability to efficiently work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to work at a high level of intensity on own initiative using judgment and displaying resilience
- Ability to network effectively with external and internal contacts, including senior management, and maintain excellent relationships
About the team
The Strategy and Economy directorate brings stakeholders in the region together around shared strategic ambitions to ensure that we are always more than the sum of our parts. The Directorate develops and supports the WMCA Corporate Strategy, and develops policy and programmes focussed on economic development, devolution, culture, digital, and other areas where the WMCA has an enabling and influencing role. The Directorate engages with Government, think tanks, universities, and others to make sure our voice is heard, and supports new and emerging policy thinking. The Directorate also hosts the Office for Data Analytics and Energy Capital, a regional public-private partnership.