Employee Relations Lead
The HR Service provides support to approx. 4,300 employees located throughout Coventry which serves a diverse population of approx. 300,000.
At the centre of all we do is The People Plan, which details the contribution HR makes to the residents of Coventry, making it a great place to live and work.
As a service we offer value-add, creative relevant and timely advice and support to meet the service and people needs. Strong and positive engagement is a central element in helping to foster, productive relationships with leaders, managers, employees, TU officials, external partners and suppliers in providing an excellent and rated service.Our Values
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
If you are ready for a real challenge, this role offers a range of operational and strategic responsibilities in a local authority that wants to take its HR services to the next level.
Coventry is right in centre in terms of location, is City of Culture and developing a great recovery on the back of the last 18 months.
It is a great opportunity to be able to successfully implement a business partnering model, develop true collaboration working across HR and really influence the culture of the organisation by progressing the employee relations agenda.
Working as part of the HR Senior Management Team, our priorities are to deliver against our People Plan, with the main themes being; increasing staff engagement, delivery of digital advancements, improving health and well-being and ensuring we are an inclusive organisation.
This role is a chance to really shape the service through partnership work with the peers, trades unions, politicians and external associates so collectively we deliver a first rate employee experience.
You will need to demonstrate great leadership, be able articulate to and deliver a positive employee relations vision that supports a positive organisational culture. Combined with strong consultation and negotiation skills, and the ability to build and work in partnership are essential for this role.
The key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- To negotiate, advise and guide Directors and Senior Managers on employment matters; influencing management and the leadership around the people agenda to maximise service performance.
- Maintain and promote productive trade union consultation and good employee relations which ensures effective dialogue, engagement and cooperation in relation to organisational change and the development of employment policies and procedures.
- Direct and support the HR Business Partners and/or the HR Support Officer in their duties to support the delivery of the HR strategy.
- Provision of support to Elected Members as required including relevant reporting of statutory obligations such as the Pay Policy, Gender Pay Gap Reports as necessary.
- To lead in the formulation, development and consultation of employment policies and procedures ensuring compliance with employment law and alignment in liaison with the trade unions and other key stakeholders.
- To act as the HR lead on a range of different projects.
- To facilitate negotiations with Directors, senior managers, trades unions and staff regarding complex change processes as well as advising on the practical implications e.g. re-structuring, TUPE transfers and headcount reduction programmes, addressing individual and collective concerns appropriately.
- To represent the Council at Employment Tribunals, preparing for cases, giving evidence and supporting those involved accordingly.
- To be a Champion for the Council’s values and associated behaviours, and actively support managers and leaders in reflecting them in practice.
- Analyse and report HR information to support with benchmarking and the development of HR strategies and solutions. Ensuring that all internal and external reporting requirements are satisfied through the provision of management information and HR returns.
- Actively champion the diversity, inclusion and well-being agendas for staff, taking lead responsibility for delivery of best in class policies and practices.
- To effectively manage the HR budgets, both pay and non-pay.
- Deputising for the HRD as required.
The successfully appointed colleague should be able to demonstrate:
- A strong track record of developing and implementing policy, experienced in implementing HR strategy.
- Experience of working in partnership with a range of stakeholders including managers, trade unions, employees, elected members and external partners.
- Experience of managing and improving employee relations in a unionised environment.
- Experience of managing conflict and sensitive issues and achieving positive outcomes.
- Experience of developing and managing change projects and programmes.
- Strong track record of developing and implementing policy, experienced in implementing HR strategy.
- Ability to manage effectively people and resources, and / or project teams, to achieve complex or high priority objectives, and develop others personally and professionally.
- Proven ability to systematically analyse information and cut through complexity to bring clear, relevant and intelligible recommendations.
- Strong ability to understand Coventry City Councils strategic context and work proactively to achieve the organisations highest priorities.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview dates: 9th and 11th August 2021
For more details please contact either Grace Haynes Head of People and Culture or Amanda Durrant, Head of People and Business.Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks