Single Assurance Framework Implementation Project Manager
The West Midlands Combined Authority’s Assurance & Appraisal Team supports senior leaders and the WMCA Board in the provision of independent, 2nd line of defence assurance and appraisal activity. We work collaboratively with project and programme teams across all directorates to support the development of robust business cases. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and support the successful delivery of projects.
Central to this is our Single Assurance Framework (SAF) which sets how the WMCA will use public money responsibly, both openly and transparently, and achieve best value for money. The Assurance Framework is a set of systems, processes and protocols designed to provide the WMCA with a consistent approach for business planning, appraisal, assurance, risk management and performance management throughout the lifecycle of projects and programmes (from initiation through to project close).
We’re now looking for a Project Manager to join us on a 12-month fixed term to provide project management leadership for the Single Assurance Framework (SAF) Implementation project. The project will involve rolling out and fully embedding the Framework across all directorates and will need to be delivered on time, within the agreed budget and in accordance with defined standards and processes approved by the WMCA Board.
What will you be doing?
- Plan and manage the implementation of newly designed SAF business processes and tools
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure SAF processes are integrated within existing business processes
- Lead the development, maintenance and implementation of project plans
- Provide project reporting to inform decision-making and update senior managers on project progression
- Manage cross-functional resources and ensure teams are focused and motivated
- Manage the development and delivery of the project
- Work with the Project Sponsor to define a vision of what constitutes successful completion of the project
- Identify and ensure resources are in place to deliver the project
- Control project delivery through the development and implementation of a Project Monitoring & Evaluation Plan
- Collaborate to ensure best practice solutions are delivered and objectives/deliverables are met
- Chair SAF Implementation Programme Board meetings
- Develop and implement a project reporting schedule and content
You’ll have a good understanding of the application of relevant frameworks and how to implement and embed these in a complex organisation. With a solid record of project management, you’ll have exceptional interpersonal skills and know how to get things done with and through others. Success in this role is as much about winning the hearts and minds of stakeholders across all directorates as it is project management. We’d like you to have the following:
- Proven track record in delivery of projects to time, budget and quality
- Ability to effectively manage/oversee multiple projects
- Knowledge of proactive risk management, identifying and mitigating project risks
- Skilled at managing project budgets and producing robust cost forecasts
- Skilled at producing accurate and cohesive project status reports
- Able to produce detailed project plans
- An understanding of the principals of work breakdown structures and critical path analysis
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates. We are: human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
WMCA's Benefits Calculator.pdf
Project Manager (SAF) Implementation - Role Profile.pdf