Walsall Healthy Homes Assistants (Recruit-Ability Programme) - Ref: CH02121
5 days left
A Positive Action training initiative for disabled people
The Recruit-Ability programme provides paid work experience and training placements for people who have a disability. Additionally, participants can expect to receive full support, advice and access to training courses.
- This opportunity is open to disabled applicants only
- Recruit-Ability is a positive action programme aimed at providing targeted training to disabled people who are under-represented in our workforce. Equality Act (Section 158) applies.
- You must be new to Walsall Council (no previous/current employed status with this council)
- You must be new to this type of positive action programme
Walsall Healthy Homes Assistants (2 posts) – Ref: CH02121
18.5 hours per week – fixed term for 12 months.
Pay: Training Allowance of £17,842 pro rata to hours worked (£9.24 per hour).
Please Note: This is a re-advertisement - previous applicants need not re-apply.
Housing Standards and Improvement Team:
This council service has at its heart the desire to help Walsall residents, especially those who are vulnerable. The team do this through a range of inter-connected services such as:
- Tackling rogue private landlords;
- Working with good landlords to ensure they are up to date on relevant laws and best practice
- Home energy and insulation and helping residents save money on their energy bills through schemes like collective switching
- Providing a range of help for disabled residents including statutory Disabled Facility Grants (DFGs).
These 2 placements will help and support the delivery of the services as mentioned above. Whilst starting in the energy advice team, you will have the opportunity to work in the above, gaining additional skills and experience. The role will include:
- Responding to residents enquires principally by phone and e-mail
- Updating existing databases and spreadsheets (and developing new spreadsheets)
- Both team and individual work tasks requiring both team and self-guided work
The post holders should have the ability to use IT – in particular Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams. You will have the opportunity to undertake a range of online training relevant to the role and work of the service.
This opportunity is to help a team tackle fuel poverty, excess winter deaths and domestic carbon emissions in the borough. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate at all application stages an interest in tackling these and some knowledge of the same including how dwellings are measured in terms of energy efficiency in England and common types of homes insulation and what help might be available for residents to tackle their heating bills.
Home based working:
The team has been working from home since February 2020. We have found that our specific services have been able to continue to be delivered to the highest quality and standards through the commitment of staff and our council supplied ‘laptops’ that are integrated to our telephone, email and database systems.
We expect that home working will continue for the foreseeable future and potentially during the full duration of this contract. Please note that home working is likely to continue even if Covid-19 restrictions end in the short/medium term future.
All colleagues in our team use Microsoft Teams (audio, message and video) on a daily basis to keep in touch with each other, ask questions and receive support. Physical face-to-face meetings are now rare.
Important information about applying:
When making your application, please read the 'Information for applicants' document, placement description and placement specification carefully and explain in your supporting information document how you feel you meet each of the criteria in the placement specification, with examples. Please be aware that applicants who do not submit any supporting information or who submit a CV will not be short listed.
If you have any questions about this placement, please call the Recruitment Team on 01922 655673 or email: email@example.com
Closing Date: 30th July 2021.