Financial Systems and Analytics Manager
We're an organisation going through great change and significant growth. Key to this growth is our 'enabling functions', helping to deliver the future ambition of WMCA by growing a cohesive team of high-performing professionals who act as value adding enablers. Everything that we do is underpinned by modern integrated systems that provide a single version of the truth, to enable delivery of outstanding services to our customers within a sound internal control framework.
As Financial Systems and Analytics Manager you will support the design and efficient integration of all business-wide financial systems, and any associated technology, taking a customer focused approach to leading the delivery and improvements of all Financial Systems to WMCA and partners.
The role supports the management of the ERP System (Business World) ensuring smooth system operation and overall system integrity and security. This encompasses core accounting, projects, spend management and revenue management functionality and banking integrations, plus enabling business reporting across Finance, Procurement and Projects data. You will work with the Finance and Project Support Services team to identify and implement system improvements that enable efficient and effective service delivery.
What will you be doing?
- Work cross-functionally to ensure all systems give the right output to the user, ensuring data integrity across all systems
- Work with Finance to design and develop analytics, reports and KPIs, driving all information from finance systems as ‘one version of the truth’
- Continually improve core financial systems processes, system controls and system performance in accordance with the requirements of a growing business
- Project manage improvements, standard upgrades, and implementation of any new systems
- Develop and enhance contacts outside of WMCA to identify how other organisations manage their financial systems, share lessons and information and incorporate best practice in our core financial systems
- Design and deliver a ‘system driving license’ based around role, that ensures staff both in the Finance team and the wider business are using the Business World system effectively
- Develop a network of ‘super users’ across the business and work towards a ‘self-service’ approach for business users
- Ensure that an effective and proactive Finance system Help desk service is provided to support, trouble shoot, upskill and drive improvements for our customers
- Collaborate and work with key internal and external partners regarding the ‘art of the possible’ formulating business cases for new add-ons or technology to future proof and ensure we offer value for money through efficient and effective processes
Our goal is to be ‘best in class’ and the direction similar organisations aspire to - and you will play a very real part in making happen.
Ideally a qualified accountant, or with lots of demonstrable technical finance knowledge, you will have a really good grounding and understanding of finance systems and their development. You'll need strong leadership skills and be skilled in managing projects from start to finish. In addition, we'd like you to have some or all of the following:
- Substantial knowledge of development and implementation of finance ERP systems
- Knowledge of best practice finance, project and procurement service delivery
- Experience of using and supporting SharePoint, banking software, Avanti call managing and reporting software
- Be able to contribute to leadership of change and support others to overcome difficulties
- Skilled facilitator with systematic approach to process improvement
- Experience of business process re-engineering & system reconciliation processes
- Experience of system deigning delivering testing and training system changes.
- Extensive experience and working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel to an advanced level
- Evidence of continuing professional development and up to date knowledge of research in your field
- Knowledge and proven ability in management of business World (unit 4Agresso), including developing new functionality & security protocols
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.