Programme Investment Appraisal Manager
The Programme Investment Appraisal Manager leads the provision of a programme investment appraisal function to the Combined Authority. This senior management role sites within the Assurance & Appraisal team, within the Investment & Commercial Activities arm of the Finance and Business Hub Directorate.
The role has specific responsibility for leading the team accountable for the delivery of independent investment appraisal and assessment of Business Cases for major public sector investment projects - producing high level summaries and reviews which demonstrate a good fit with WMCA strategy and priorities, good value for money, commercial viability, a sound cost plan and project management arrangements.
The role offers challenge where applicable and provides WMCA’s Investment Panel and Investment Board with clear recommendations as part of their decision on whether to invest in the project. The approach to investment appraisal of projects & programmes will be undertaken in accordance with WMCA’s Single Assurance Framework (SAF).
What will you be doing?
- Lead in the design and implementation a process for the independent appraisal and technical assessment of projects across all WMCA Project which follows the HM Treasury Government’s Green Book and Five Business Case model
- Lead the Programme Investment Appraisal team in their production of an evidence-based risk summary of each project Business Case
- Lead in the presentation of the Business Case Risk & Investment Output Report summary recommendations to WMCA’s Investment Panel and Investment Board
- Work iteratively with business areas, as required, to provide advice and guidance on the development of robust and compliant Business Cases for WMCA investments
- Support and advise Senior Leadership Team (SLT) with the review and appraisal of change requests for any WMCA Investment Portfolio
- Develop close working relationships with key programme stakeholders from each local authority, LEP or delivery partner as well as subject matter specialists across the wider WMCA community
- Assist in the development of any third-party specialist project reviews
- Support the development of a Centre of Excellence for programme management in accordance with Governance best practice
- Provide specialist high level planning expertise and advice for the development and delivery of investment projects as they progress through the SAF
- Line manage the team of Programme Investment Appraisers
We’re looking for someone with extensive knowledge of HM Treasury Green Book / Five Business Case Model with experience of appraising public sector projects. Ideally you will have specific experience of appraising land & property and/or transport infrastructure projects. We’re looking for someone who has good knowledge of project management tools and methodologies with extensive experience using relevant project management systems. Our ideal candidate will have some or all of the following:
- Membership of an appropriate professional body
- HM Treasury Greenbook Practitioner (Desirable)
- PRINCE2 Practitioner (Essential)
- P3O Foundation or Practitioner (Desirable)
- MSP Foundation or Practitioner (Desirable)
- Prior experience in the development of standards, expertise, and implementation of best practice
- Ability to plan and co-ordinate multiple activities simultaneously, managing time and resource accordingly
- Ability to efficiently collect, process, analyse and disseminate data in an appropriate manner for the intended audience
The role leads the management and development of highly skilled team and so strong leadership skills are a very distinct advantage.
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Programme Investment Appraisal Manager.pdf