Job Description – Caseworker- OISC-regulated Level 1
Reporting to: Casework team managers
Responsible for: Designated advisors.
Salary: 22,5-24k (dependent on length of experience and ability to supervise other OISC-regulated colleagues)
Hours: 35 (full time)
Contract: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Probation period: 6 months
Location: RMC’s offices in Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Walsall – working across branches may be a requirement.
Important Note: Being regulated by the Office of Immigration Services commission (OISC) Level 1 is an essential requirement. (If you are regulated at a higher level of OISC, please get in touch as different employment terms may apply)
Purpose of the Job:
- To provide professional and effective OISC regulated casework as well as advice, guidance and support to a broad range of RMC’s service users.
- To assist/support the team and the management to meet the needs of the beneficiaries and achieve targets.
- To support and supervise colleagues on a lower level of OISC regulation and designated volunteers.
- To deliver presentations and represent RMC at meetings/events when required by management.
- To take responsibility of projects related to the job
Working within the team
- To ensure the requirements of OISC are respected and met during the delivery of immigration-related advice and casework.
- To assist the senior colleagues and managers in order to drive efficiency, quality, systems improvement and target achievement.
- To supervise and/or manage colleagues on a lower level of OISC-regulation and designated volunteers.
Casework and advice
- To offer advice & casework to service users with various aspects related to their immigration case.
- To deliver the appropriate level of casework either independently or under supervision, depending on the level of OISC registration.
- To provide appropriate support and mentoring to any caseworkers and/or advisors that are under this role’s supervision.
- To maintain confidentiality in all dealings with service users and ensure their needs are met in a satisfactory and sensitive manner.
- To be responsible for the day to day delivery of specific projects if requested by the Senior Management Team–this is flexible and could change depending on the nature of funding.
- To represent RMC at external meetings and events when required by senior colleagues.
- To maintain effective working relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- In order to deliver the stated aims of this post, a degree of flexibility is needed and the post holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above. Such duties will fall within the scope of the job within the appropriate pay grade. The job description will therefore be subject to periodic review with the post holder to ensure it accurately reflects the duties that are being performed
- OISC Level 1. Essential.
- Commitment to working towards OISC Level 2. Essential.
- Experience of advice work dealing with asylum seekers, refugees and vulnerable migrants. Highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly to distressed clients. Essential.
- A proven high standard of communication skills, including written, oral, presentational and inter-personal skills. Essential.
- Ability to produce high quality written work to deadline, organisational skills and the ability to manage and prioritise a demanding workload. Essential.
- Commitment to equality and diversity. Essential.
- An ability to self-motivate and work independently. Highly desirable.
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment and sensitivity towards other cultures. Highly desirable.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent. Desirable.
- A proven record of team work and flexibility. Desirable.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to empathise as well as establish boundaries to avoid emotional over involvement. Desirable.
- Fluent in a community language. Desirable.