Development Team Leader
Now is an exciting time for the West Midlands Combined Authority. We are investing heavily in technology for the future and are looking for a Development Team Leader to take responsibility for a portfolio of digital and data systems and lead a multi-disciplinary development team of Developers.
What will you be doing?
- Develop, support and maintain the requirements, processes, development and support of WMCA systems
- Maintain capability to perform all duties of a Principal Systems Developer
- Analysis, design, development and testing using modern and legacy languages, additionally supporting the migration of legacy systems to modern technologies using C#, MVC, database servers and Object Orientated Development
- Lead on the provision of new systems and services, evaluating business drivers, translating client requirements into detailed work programmes and performing cost/benefit analysis on such systems and developments
- Deliver new products and product increments - working effectively to an Agile methodology to direct the launch of products and product increments
- Document specific proposals for solutions development, modifications or replacement systems, testing schedules and manuals
- Manage financial systems developments, being up to date with legislative requirements of the handling of personal and personal financial data
- Work with all areas of WMCA to engage project management support and budget planning taking into account the specifications, data flows, key inputs and outputs, standards and performance measures for business solutions presented to the clients and users
- Work closely with front end designers, back end developers and a variety of end users to ensure technical compatibility, usability and adherence to brand guidelines and user satisfaction
- Represent the development team in client briefings/key meetings, representing Digital and Data Leadership Team
- Work closely with suppliers and contractors on complex and critical issues and negotiate and resolve both operational and development issues
- Introduce new development processes which enhance the productivity of the team, the business and the wider combined authority
We're looking for some with significant systems development experience who is a keen people manager. In addition, we're looking for the following:
- Strong driver of change, innovation and process improvement
- Experience in introducing technological change programmes with various technologies
- Expert technical skills in modern ICT development is essential
- Experience of the use and configuration of development tools to improve the process of systems development
- Relevant development skills, including C#, MSSQL, SSRS, MVC
- Systems integration, including the use of third party APIs such as SagePay
- Knowledge of the migration to, and implementation of cloud environments
- Excellent knowledge of the systems development lifecycle
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics CRM development
- Experience and understanding of public transport systems.
- Understanding of ITIL
- Knowledge of GDS principles
About the team
The Digital and Data Team has recently been revamped and we are creating a high performing team that can provide excellent support to the complex multi functions of the WMCA. Our key aim is to deliver a robust, high-quality customer-focused Digital and Data function to our stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity to join us at a time when we’re modernising our ways of working and delivering significant advancements in our digital services – and your expertise will help develop and shape our future vision and implement cutting edge technologies.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications - bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
WMCA's Benefits Calculator- Development Team Leader.pdf